Saag – A blend of vegetables
For those who ever lived or visited North India, Saag is not unknown dish. In fact, this is a very yummy and famous dish. The saag is a combination of few green leafy vegetable that is full of flavours and health.
It is cooked on very low heat for few hours so that all vegetables cooked properly and they give a distinct flavour of blended leaves. The main ingredients of Saag are mustard leaves and spinach. When I moved to NZ, I was missing eating saag so much especially in winters. Mustard leaves were not available here. I decided to try canned Saag but the taste was not so good. I thought to forget about this dish forever. I thought I would eat it again when I go to India.
And then, I came across with Celery, I bought it for a soup after reading the health benefits of celery. While I was chopping this entirely new vegetable for me, I thought to taste it. The moment I tasted celery it reminded me the taste of mustard leaves and stem. And that was the moment when I decided to give it a try. To mild up the sharp flavour of celery, I added broccoli along with spinach, fenugreek leaves and kale. Yum and super healthy!!
Freezing : Saag freeze beautifully for 4-5 months. It can go longer but I haven’t tried that for such a long time.
Lets go to the recipe!
Celery : half bunch 1 full flower of broccoli including stem. 500 gm spinach (I used frozen) 150 gm fenugreek leaves (frozen) 200 gm kale (I used frozen) 7-8 cloves of garlic 2 inch ginger 1 green chilli (optional) I tsp jaggery or sugar 4 tbsp chickpea flour or Maize flour (not corn flour) Salt as per taste
Tempering of Saag is generally done before eating and as per requirement of quantity. You can take two cups out of saag and add tempering and serve.
1 tbsp oil/butter/Ghee 1 onion Salt Red chilli ½ tomato (optional)
Slow cooker timings:
2 hours on high and 10 hours on low. I prefer to leave it on overnight.
- Wash and dice celery and broccoli. Use the stem part as well.
- Roughly chop other vegetables. I used frozen so I thawed them in microwave.
- In slow cooker, add above vegetables, salt , ginger, garlic, green chilli and half glass if warm water.
- Now add jaggery or sugar.
- Set slow cooker High for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours. Set the cooker on slow for 8 – 10 hours.
- Once the saag is done, Add maize flour and blend the saag. Now keep on high for an hour so that flour get cooked.
- Saag is ready.
- Take a wok, add oil. Now add chopped onions and fry them till change colour.
- Add tomatoes and spices. Fry till tomatoes leave oil.
- Add Saag and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Temper only as per required quantity.
- Saag stays fresh in fridge for a week and in freezer for 4-5 months.
- Adding flour is important step, so do not skip it.
- Can add more leafy vegetables if you like.
- pour a tsp of butter or ghee on hot saag while serving
Saag goes very well with roti/naan. It can also be eaten with rice. Try this yummy recipe and spread flavours and health in family.