Yellow Moong and red lentils in slow cooker
The yummy Moong daal (yellow lentils) is an excellent source of protein. It is great food for vegans, vegetarians , health lovers and growing kids. Cooking in slow cooker makes it more yummy. This daal is very quick to make and no rocket science is required to make this. However, this daal can be easily overcooked and then the taste of daal doesn’t remain good. You have to use a right amount of water and timings to get it perfect. Too watery or too thick both cases will ruin the flavours.
This daal does not take much time to cook even in slow cooker it only takes 3.5 hours on high. Moong taste great when mixed with red lentils and the combination of both lentils enhance the flavour as well the nutrient graph.
This simple and quick recipe:
Prep time : 10 min Serves:4 Cook time : 3.5 hours on high
1 cup Moong yellow lentils 1/2 cup red lentils 1 tsp Cumin seeds 1 tsp salt or as per taste 1 tsp turmeric 1/4 tsp red chili or as per taste 4 cups of water 4 tsp Bhuna masala (See notes) 1/2 tomato 2 tsp oil 1 tsp Garam masala fresh coriander leaves (optional)
If you do not have Bhuna masala. replace Bhuna masala with following ingredients and fry them in a pan.
1 onion 1 inch ginger 1 clove garlic 1 tomato 2 tsp oil
2. If you increase the quantity of red lentils, then put on high for 4 hours. Red lentils take more time to cook than Moong daal. I tried with 1/2 cup Moong lentils and 1 cup red lentils. It took 4 hours to cook instead of 3.5 hours.
- Mix both lentils together. Rinse them 3-4 times and soak them while you prepare your masala. Please note that No overnight soaking is required.
- Take a pan. Add some oil. Add cumin seeds. Let them splutter. Now add 4 tsp of Bhuna masala and add chopped tomato. Fry them for 1-2 minutes. Add salt turmeric red chilli. Fry them for 2-3 minutes more.
- If not using masala. Take a pan, add oil. Add cumin seeds. Let them splutter. Add chopped ginger, garlic, onion and fry them till brown. Now add tomatoes and spice and fry them till oil separates.
- Drain the soaked daal and add it in slow cooker. Now add masala and water.
- Set the cooker high for 3.5 hours.
- After 3.5 hours. Add garam masala and coriander leaves if you have. Serve warm with roti or rice.
Try this healthy simple and yummy recipes and share your feedback.
Happy slow cooking !!!