Bhuna Masala (Base onion tomato Gravy) in pressure cooker
Almost all Indian curries use a basic masala (for gravy). This is the most time consuming part of Indian cooking. It includes chopping onions tomatoes, garlic and ginger and then good amount of frying. This is kind of repetitive process everyday in every meal. No matter whatever curry you are planning to cook you have to start from making a base masala for a gravy.
being a busy working mum , I like to cook this masala in bulk and keep in my fridge or sometimes freezer if I have time to make this masala in bulk.. This can go in freezer and can be used for 5- 6 months. This is a basic gravy recipe. Whenever I am planning to cook Indian food which I do almost every day, All I do is grab few tea spoons of this masala and adjust few spices and tomatoes as per demand of the recipe and all set.
It saves my time in morning when I am about to leave for work. I use this masala in my all slow cooker recipes.
I use pressure cooker to make this masala. it saves time. But if you do not want to use pressure cooker, please check notes below.
Prep time : 15-20 min
Cook time: 7-8 whistles
Makes: Around 1 kg + masala
1 kg onions
400 gm tomato can/ fresh tomatoes
1-2 whole garlic
1 big pc of ginger (depending upon taste)
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp. olive oil/ vegetable oil
- Chop onion tomatoes garlic and ginger.
- Add oil in pressure cooker.
- Once heated, Add all ingredients listed above. Give it a nice stir and close the lid of pressure cooker.
- Cook it for 6-7 whistles. No need to add any water
- let the pressure cooker cool down. Open the lid. Cool down masala.
- Fill the glass jars/bottles and put in fridge . Use up to 2 weeks.
- Fill the ice tray with masala. Cover it with cling wrap and keep in freezer.
- Once set. Take out the cubes and put them in snap lock bags.
- Use up to 5 -6 months.
If you do not want to use pressure cooker. Then cook the masala in pan by following method :
- Add oil in pan let it hot Add garlic and ginger. Fry them till change colour.
- Now add onions and fry the onions till pink /golden brown in colour.
- Now add tomatoes , salt and turmeric. Fry masala till oil is separated.
- Cool down masala.