Lemon vermicelli with vegetables
I have not come cross anyone who doesn’t love noodles and Instant noodles. However, there are people who believe that noodles are not very healthy and I am one of those. Noodle are made of wheat flour and surely not so healthy as compared to whole meal options. Instant noodles sometimes have MSG in them and that is not healthy at all.
Vermicelli is made of semolina and considered healthy. They are easy to chew and digest for kids. It is surely a guilt free meal for health watcher or weight watchers.
Vegetable vermicelli is great option to feed loads of vegetables to kids and because of noodle like shape, it is liked by kids.
This recipe is ideal for breakfast and lunch box recipe for all age groups.
This recipe :
Prep time : 15 min
Cook time : 10-15 min
2 cups vermicelli roasted (for unroasted check Notes)
1 cup carrot grated or chopped
1/2 cup green beans ( frozen or fresh)
1/2 cup chopped broccoli( optional)
1/2 cup zucchini (Stir fry- zucchini/courgette- 2 min snack)
2 tsp Channa daal
1 tsp of white urad daal
1-2 Lemon (1 large /2 small)
1 tsp Mustard seeds
Few Curry leaves
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 hand ful of roster peanuts
10 cashews (optional)
Water to boil vermicelli
1. Squeeze juice of two lemons and soak Channa daal and urad daal in it and keep aside
2. Take 6 cups of water and bring them to boil in large pot. Once boiling add oil and salt and vermicelli.
3. Boil vermicelli till soft. Don’t over cook it. Check by pressing they should soft but not mushy. It would be done very quickly unlike noodles. Once done. Drain the vermicelli and keep aside.
4. Take a pan / wok. Add oil. Wait till oil is warm. Now add mustard seeds. Let it crackle.
5. Add onions and fry. You can add green chilli and ginger too at this stage if you like. My toddler wont eat it so I skipped.
6. Once onions are translucent, add curry leaves. Fry little and add peanuts and cashews. Roast them.
7. Now add soaked channa daal and urad daal. keep lemon juice aside to add later.
8. Add salt and turmeric. Fry little so that raw smell of turmeric goes away.
9. Now add chopped vegetables. and fry them so that they get cooked.
10. Once vegetables are nicely done, add vermicelli and lemon juice.
11. sprinkle some stir fried zucchini to give nice colour.
12. Serve warm.
- Add more lemon juice if you like the sourness.
- Sweetness can be added by serving with tomoato ketchup.
- Can pack in lunch, picninc food. It stays fresh for hours
- If using unroasted vermicelli , dry roast it first in wok before using. it will add flavour.
Try this recipe in breakfast, lunch box and share your feedback. Happy cooking !!!