Masala Chai/ Indian spice tea
Chai is a Hindi language name for Tea in India. Indians are generally fond of tea and this inspired them to be inventive in making various types of teas. Masala chai is a tea with all spices. This spiced tea taste amazing. It is wonderful drink for soar throat and tasty hot drink in cold & rainy weather.
Masala chai is very easy to make and can be made in various ways. Most amazing thing is if you do not have all ingredients , it would still taste amazing
Prep time : 2 min
Cook time : 10 min
serves: 2 cups
1 – 1/4 cup water
1 cup Milk
2 tea bags (any black tea of your choice)
sugar 2 tsp or as per your taste
1 pinch of salt
For Masala (Spices)
1 inch ginger :grated / crushed
4-5 pods of black pepper
1/4 tsp carom seeds or fennel seeds
2 pinch of cinnamon powder
1 pinch of nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp of dried ginger
1 pod of green cardamom
1-2 leaves of fresh mint
- Crush all spices together in mortal and pester.
- Put water in pan and place it on cook top on high flame.
- Once water starts boiling, Add all spices and cover it with lid on low flame for 5- 7 minutes
- After that, add tea bags, sugar and salt to water.
- Cover it again and let the tea bags boil for 2 minutes or so.
- Now add milk and high the flame .Once tea reached boiling point. Reduce the flame and let it boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Off the gas. Sieve the tea in cups and enjoy cuppa with mix veg Bhaji or cookies.
- Adjust the spices and sugar as per your taste.
- The same method can be used to make ginger tea, cardamom tea, fennel seeds tea, mint tea, carom seeds tea.